Screenings and Educational Outcomes
One of TOP's main goals is to make certain every child enrolled is screened each fall in order to identify and address any potential learning or developmental delays. This includes early cognitive, language, physical, and social/emotional developmental hindrances. Once identified, TOP staff take the time to match children to the appropriate community resources, ensuring children get the intervention they need. Many of these resources provide services on site at TOP schools, making it convenient for parents and comfortable for children.
Because of TOP's attention to the needs of its students, excellent teachers and effective curriculum, children leave TOP Early Learning Centers prepared for success in kindergarten and beyond. Each fall and spring, TOP three, four and five-year-olds participate in Pearson Work Sampling System assessments – a nationally recognized assessment used to individualize instruction, communicate with families more effectively and measure students' outcomes.
Teachers observe and collect data on each of the children during the assessment periods.
2019 – 2020 P4/5 Results (% of children proficient)
|Area of Measure||
2019-2020 Fall Proficiency
2019-2020 Winter Proficiency
|Language and Literacy||23%||56%|
*Because TOP closed mid-year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, only beginning and middle year assessments were given during the 201-2020 school year.
Additionally, students who graduate from a TOP Early Learning Center opt into a longitudinal study conducted by Wichita State University.
Thus far, we have determined:
- TOP graduates average a 95% attendance rate compared to the control group's rate of 93%.
- Overall, TOP graduates are 35% less likely than the demographically matched control group to be in special education.
- Combining all grades, on average, TOP graduates are 60% less likely than the control group to have repeat discipline referrals.
- On average, TOP graduates have a 2.78 Grade Point Average (GPA) compared to the control group's 2.54 GPA.
- 39% of TOP graduates are in the upper 20% of their classes when it comes to appropriate behavior.
- 38% of TOP graduates are in the upper 20% of their classes when it comes to competent social interactions.
- 34% of TOP graduates are in the upper 20% of their classes when it comes to emotional maturity.
- On reading standardized tests, TOP graduates in all seven grades tested were less likely to perform below grade level (Level 1) than their control group peers and more likely to perform at grade level and progressing toward college readiness (Level 3).
- On math standardized tests, TOP graduates in all seven grades tested were less likely to perform below grade level (Level 1) than their control group peers and more likely to perform at grade level and progressing toward college readiness (Level 3).